Friday, December 24, 2004

I've made it. Sadly my bike hasn't...

Hi folks. I've made it to Jimmy's house in San Diego. Sadly my bike is somewhere between here and LA, Chicago or London. American Airlines left it at Heathrow, and promised me it would be flown to Chicago, then down to LA yesterday evening and delivered to Jimmy's parents' house near San Diego. It's not arrived. The most likely reason is that Chicago has got loads of snow, so planes aren't flying there. I really hope it turns up...

Otherwise things are great. The 10 hour flight was fine, I had a pleasant guy called Troy sitting next to me who gave me loads of advice about places to see. The queues in the airport were pretty bad, especially when I was trying to sort out my luggage. Flying over LA was amazing - a beautiful view of downtown and the Hollywood sign up in the hills. I found it really powerful seeing the huge extent of all the houses and freeways. Driving on the bus through LA was wierd - it felt so different to cycling through it last time I was here - much less friendly. The Greyhound bus terminal was really busy - loads of people travelling home for Christmas. The bus journey was a bit nerve-wracking because I was so tired I kept falling asleep, and I was sure I was going to miss my stop. But thankfully I managed to be awake at the necessary point and got off, and Jimmy picked me up.

Some of his friends were having a party at their house, so we went along. I got a great second wind and had a great laugh. There were quite a few guys there that I met last time, it was cool to see them again. I had some of the tasty Californian beer, and a white russian made with local Californian milk (there was a very patriotic guy there!)

Today we drove around a lot. It was great seeing the places I'd cycled through before. Had a fantastic veggie burrito for lunch - I've really missed them! The weather is fantastic - it was well into the 20s. It is surreal going shopping in the malls with the Christmas music playing, in the glorious hot sunshine. The poor santa clause must have been sweating! It's mad - people are mowing their lawns and surfing on Christmas eve! Right now I'm at Jimmy's parents' house - we came over to help put together a scooter for someone's christmas present. His sisters are baking cookies, and there's christmas music playing. We're going round to his brother in law's parents for a meal and stuff later.

So things are fantastic! I just hope my bike arrives, otherwise I might become the first person to cross the USA on a scooter...

T x

No comments: