Sunday, December 12, 2004

Edinburgh - Planning My Trip


training
Originally uploaded by Thomas Turnbull.
Well it's 12 days until I go, and I'm alternating between sheer panic and complete denial.

Most things are ready - I've bought all the kit I need, I've got the maps, my bike's working well (thanks Ewan), the flights are all booked and seem to work well.

However I'm not sure I'm going to make it the whole way across. Last Sunday I did a training ride from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk along the Union Canal and the Forth-Clyde Canal with Lindsay. We didn't make it. My excuse is that the headwind made a big difference. And the landscape was pretty bleak after the Falkirk Wheel, so when we reached Corby we gave up and got the train. So it's made me pretty nervous about my target of doing 75 miles every day - no rest days - for 42 days. I don't think I'll manage to be honest. But in a vain attempt to get myself fitter I've started doing three laps of Holyrood Park every morning before breakfast (though I didn't manage yesterday due to a lack of sleep & too much beer the night before, and various other things). Today I went out cycling with Goerge, who is much faster than me, but a bit of competitiveness managed to get me going a bit faster.

I'm sure everything will be fine though... I'll keep you posted as much as I can when I'm out there to let you know how I get on.

No comments: